March 01, 2012

Jonathan: Humility And Friendship

In 1 Samuel 23, we see David fleeing from Saul, who was bent on killing David as the presence of David threatens Saul's throne and his lineage.

Instead of Saul finding David, his son, Jonathan, finds David instead.

The Bible has mentioned about David and Jonathan's friendship more than once. This shows how close those two brothers are. "Ma brother from another mother, yo." that kinda thing. Their friendship started after David killed Goliath and was honored in Saul's courts and Jonathan honored him as well. You can read the rest of the story here: 1 Sam 18: 1-5 If you continued on, you'll find why Saul is seeking David's life in better details.

But back to the point.

What truly amazes me is Jonathan's character and attitude.

"And Jonathan, Saul's son, rose and went to David at Horesh, and strengthened his hand in God. And he said to him, “Do not fear, for the hand of Saul my father shall not find you. You shall be king over Israel, and I shall be next to you. Saul my father also knows this.” And the two of them made a covenant before the Lord. David remained at Horesh, and Jonathan went home." 1 Sam 23:16-18

Jonathan is the son of the king. He is next in line to the throne. But he willingly gives it up for David and encourages him as well! I mean, this man really has solid character! It's not easy to give up something that you inherited or something that people and yourself are expecting to receive, what more for a non-family member, besties notwithstanding.

The funny thing about this conversation was that Saul knew about Jon's support to David and I do believe this riled Saul up further. "Son, you nuts?" is most likely the modern equivalent.

This shows that Jonathan knows that God chooses what He knows is right for the nation and so he SUBMITS to God's perfect plan. By submitting to God's plan wholly, Jonathan is free to love and support David, with confidence in God that God knows what He is doing. When we let go and let God, we are free to love and support even our "enemies". Or our real enemies. Of course it's not easy. Letting go of my pride is the hardest thing I have to do each and every day, but it does help because I can be genuine and authentic. I need not be afraid of my motives when I encourage people in their talents, etc and I can truly be happy for them. I can truly thank God that He has blessed them with talents and not wallow in self-pity or a perfectionism spiral downturn.

Jonathan, unfortunately, dies before he could see David crowned. So the promise of being next to David back at Horesh, he could not fulfill. But David did his part. When he found Jonathan's son Mephibosheth still alive, though crippled, David took him back into the palace and cared for the son and his servants. (You can read it in 2 Samuel 9)

I thank God for my friendships and that He taught me that I must learn to treasure my friendships and to work on them. Sometimes it is difficult because we live in a world that is constantly busy, we lose track of time and thus forget to work on things that actually matters the most.

--

Through Jonathan's character, of how he humbly, genuinely gives up his right to the throne for the love of God and friend, we can see the friendship of David and Jonathan worthy of several mentions in the Bible, which should inspire us further to be humble and to treasure our friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment